So you would like to finish or earn your bachelor’s degree and thinking about taking an online college degree. But one thing crosses your mind, is getting an online degree the right option for you?
People, nowadays, have easier access to technology. Almost everything can be done on the internet, online shopping, one-stop-website for bill payments, and now, even post-secondary level education can be achieved on the internet.
Whether you are interested in taking the certificate, associate, bachelor’s, master’s or the doctorate degrees, there’s always a possibility of failing the program. It is not that you would be failing the subjects, but most online students would have problems or difficulties in juggling work, family and studies.
Here are some secrets on how you could ensure that you will be finishing your college degree:
• Never procrastinate. The most common mistake of online students is being too lax on their school requirements and activities. Since most online classes are asynchronous or they do not have fixed or specified time for discussion or classes, online students would deal with their projects and requirements during their free time. However, some students tend to be complacent and eventually neglecting the lessons.
• Just because it is expensive, you’ll blow your chances goodbye. There are different financial assistance programs that are also being offered to online colleges and universities. It is important to talk financial advisors since most of online colleges offer installment payment plans to their students.
• Never hesitate to ask questions. Some students would drop out since they had no idea that there would be contact or face-to-face sessions included in the online courses. There are some online courses that completely use online tool, however, there are some online colleges that would require instructor and students meet on orientations, end of the term, and examinations.
• Communicate with your instructors and classmates. Even though you will not be seeing each other, it pays to send them emails and posting in online groups and message boards.
• Just because an online university is not known your will be rejecting it. There are small online colleges that are slowly building their reputation and their success rate. But be careful with diploma mills. The best thing to do when unsure about a specific online college is check its accreditation and ask your local/ state college accreditation council.
• Don’t be ashamed or shy about telling other people that you are studying. One thing is that online courses lack human interaction, you do not get to share and get support from your classmates. To get the support you need, you could start by sharing it with your friends and family
Another important thing is to start right. Some online students would be dropping out since their expectations were not met by the college. There are also times when the students realized that they were not happy with their online course. Before choosing any online college degree, it is crucial to do some research first about the college and the course that will be taken.